Top Stories

PM Justin Trudeau of Canada expresses shock at the death of his schoolmate Matthew Perry: I'll always remember the games we played

PM Justin Trudeau of Canada expresses shock at the death of his schoolmate Matthew Perry: I'll always remember the games we played


The news of school pal Matthew Perry's passing has shocked Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Perry was best known for playing Chandler Bing in the American comedy series Friends. 


The LA Times, citing law enforcement sources, said that Perry was discovered dead and unconscious in his Los Angeles home's hot tub on October 29 and that there was no chance of resuscitation.


The actor Matthew Perry, star of Friends, passed away suddenly at home in Los Angeles, according to reports, and Trudeau posted on social media site X expressing his sorrow.


Matthew Perry used to live without his mother in Canada, where he was also an outstanding junior tennis player in his school, before relocating to the United States and becoming well-known for his role as Chandler Bing on Friends. While attending the same school as future Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, he also gave him a beating in his early years.


Both Justin Trudeau as well as Matthew attended Ottawa's Rockcliffe Park elementary school, a public school. It's interesting to note that when Justin's father Pierre Trudeau remained prime minister, Matthew's mother Suzanne Marie Morrison served as his press secretary. Matthew said that his assault on the son of the Canadian prime minister at the time—who later became the prime minister himself—was motivated by "pure jealousy."


During a 2017 episode of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Kimmel, Matthew said that he and Justin attended the same school. "I was a couple of years ahead of him," he said. We did, in fact, beat up Justin Trudeau, as my buddy Chris Murray, who was in the fifth grade in Canada, pointed out to me. I'm not sure (why). I beat him up, too. I believe it was just jealously because he was succeeding in a sport that we weren't."


Matthew went on to say he wasn't proud of what happened. "I'm not bragging about this," he said. It is dreadful. I didn't want to beat him up because I was a foolish child." He said that he never discussed the fight with Justin Trudeau. But I believe I had a significant role in his reaching such high levels and becoming prime minister," he jokingly said. I believe he said, "You know, I'm going to get over this and become prime minister."


The Canadian prime minister, Justin Trudeau, responded to Matthew's disclosures by challenging him to a rematch. Trudeau has held the position since 2015. "I've been thinking about it, and you know what, who hasn't wanted to punch Chandler?" he tweeted. Would @MatthewPerry be up for a rematch? The actor modestly answered, "I think I will pass at the suggestion for a rematch kind sir (given that you right now have an army at your disposal)."

No comments: