Top Stories

13 Advantages of a Simple Lifestyle



In order to reap the rewards of financial savings, less stress, fostering solid connections, and experience investment, my spouse and I made the decision to simplify our lives. For instance, we recently went on an overnight vacation to a neighboring city, where we spent time with friends, slept in a beautiful hotel, and visited a museum. It was a fantastic retreat that confirmed our decision to simplify our lives. Prior to adopting a simple lifestyle, we lacked the resources and leisure time to travel.


Simple Living: What Is It?


Similar to minimalism, everyone's definition of simple life varies. As a result, what constitutes simple living will differ based on personal requirements and preferences. By providing a response to the question, "How much is enough," I define simple life. 


I also revisit some of Vicki Robin's questions from Your Money or Your Life. Says she: 


In order to define "enough," you must pose the following important and relevant questions to yourself:


What brings you joy?

What do you value most highly?

Which morals will you never waver from?

With $1 million at your disposal, how would you spend your time?

Which one of your possessions might you give up to improve your happiness? (A single individual is not included) When will you have enough cash for retirement?

Do you think you would fall into that hole again if someone removed all of your debts today? In what way or in what manner?


I like these questions because they force me to consider my principles and define "enough" in my own terms. For instance, I spent almost five years living with my spouse in a little home. But our modest abode was too little for us. We wanted a house with greater room for cooking and entertaining. We now have two bedrooms in our apartment, which is "enough" space for the two of us.


13 Advantages of a Simple Lifestyle


These are 13 ways that living simply has improved my life. Numerous advantages are interconnected. For instance, without assessing my spending patterns and attitude to consumerism, I was unable to pay off my debt. I hope this list of advantages is useful to you, particularly when you define simple life.  


Now, let's go over my list again.


1.) Recognize and save finances

One of the most important aspects of our simple living journey is learning how to save money. It's enlightening and liberating to monitor our expenses, earnings, and savings. For instance, it has enabled us to travel, change careers, and cover unforeseen medical expenses. 


2.) Bid materialism

Upon analyzing my buying patterns and seeing "The Story of Stuff," I was able to give up mall shopping for happiness. Shopping was obviously bad for the environment, my finances, and my mental health. I came to understand that pleasure, joy, and excitement might be found elsewhere outside the mall after bidding consumerism farewell. 


3.) More solidified bonds

Social connection is a key component of the majority of the advice I offered in "How To Choose Happiness (even when it's difficult)". According to studies on happiness, having solid connections and a sense of connectedness makes people happy—not accumulating more possessions. For me, it is absolutely the case! 


Professor, scientist, and podcast presenter Dr. Laurie Santos said, "If you look at the positive psychology research, our social connection has one of the hugest influences on our personal happiness... Happiness requires social connections, especially meaningful ones. Although they are insufficient for happiness, happy individuals cannot be found without them. 


4.) More time

I found that as we made life simpler, I had more free time. I wasn't driving my vehicle, going to the mall, or putting in as many hours at work. And I became better at saying no. I was able to spend more time with my loved ones and focus on creative pursuits as a consequence.


Time audits are something that still comes in handy. I keep track of my time for a week when I feel too busy. I am able to reassess how I spend my time, which is good. I then decide what matters most to me and discard the things that don't benefit me. 


5.) A more harmonious work-life ratio

I became aware that I wanted to work less hours after doing time audits. I work around 25 to 30 hours a week, as opposed to more than 40. Despite my lower income, I still have time for volunteering, artistic endeavors, and family responsibilities.


6.) Lessened anxiety

Our stress levels were lowered by saving money, paying off our debt, and riding our bikes to work. 


It's interesting to note that The Commuting and Wellbeing Study discovered that "every extra minute of commute time reduces mental health, increases strain, and decreases job satisfaction." On the other hand, a shorter commute "is associated with better self-reported health" and is likely to "increase job satisfaction." 


Given the detrimental effects of chronic stress on health, I'm appreciative of my straightforward, low-stress lifestyle. 


7.) More restful sleep

My sleep was regularly disturbed when I was caught in the work-spend cycle. I used to worry at night about not having enough money to pay back my college loans. I sleep better and worry less these days. In addition, I consider my life's circumstances when I can't sleep. 


8.) Less mess equals less tidying

I've saved time and feel good about letting rid of stuff. Cleaning isn't as necessary for me, and spring cleaning is enjoyable and simpler. Another approach to save money is to have fewer possessions. My expenses for upkeep, security, and insurance payments are all lower. 


9.) Lessening of decision fatigue

My closet was stuffed full of clothing before I decided to simplify my life. I had no idea what to dress, so getting ready in the morning took me a long time. I adore my simple clothing that I own now. My little wardrobe has also helped me feel less overwhelmed with options. To put it simply, choosing what to dress in the morning is not a laborious process.


10.) A greater sense of appreciation

I've changed my perspective over the last ten years from comparison to thankfulness. I feel thankful for everything in my life when I realize that I have enough money, time, and love. My writing and photography practice are two tools that support my ability to concentrate on thankfulness.


11.) Appreciating the little things

One of my favorite things to do is to savor little pleasures, like taking a stroll in the outdoors, reading a book, or having coffee with a buddy. One lovely and unexpected side effect of living a simpler life is. 


12.) Make experiences an investment

We spend portion of our money on experiences rather than material possessions. I like going on vacation and dining out. But not every event has to cost money. My life is filled with regular activities, such as going on bike rides with friends and visiting the library. In my neighborhood, I may engage in these activities. They are enjoyable and cost-free, too!


13.) Establish a community

Vicki Robin made the astute observation, "Widen the circle of relatedness and you are in the third pillar of natural wealth: community," in the new version of Your Money or Your Life. Human community is innately valuable. Because it makes commerce among communities that share and care for one another outside of the money system possible, it is currency.


I've become more resilient, less wedded to material possessions, and community building-focused throughout the years. Don't get me wrong: living in an apartment with a small number of personal items is a luxury and a pleasure. But, my possessions cannot look after me in times of illness, mental illness, or bereavement. But I have my community to take care of me.


It's a fantastic chance to have the time and space to concentrate on my community and connections. For instance, I traveled to see friends last summer. Some of my friendships were strengthened by the trip, and I think back on it often. I'm excited to start saving for our upcoming vacation with friends!


Resources that Encourage Uncomplicated Living


Are you trying to find tools that make your life easier? Examine the following list:


Books


A brief selection of my top books on living simply is provided below: 


By Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin, Your Money or Your Life

Courtney Carver's Project 333 and Soulful Simplicity

Author Cait Flanders's The Year of Less

Tricia Hersey, "Resting is Resistance"

Lloyd Kahn's Tiny Homes: Simple Shelter


Articles

Go through Coutney's collection of essays on minimalism. It is jam-packed with insightful pieces that will motivate you to live a simpler life. This article will help you get started: Seven Small Steps for the Novice Minimalist.


Audio podcasts

Minimalist Weddings, How to Begin Simplifying, and More (Ask and Answer)

De-Stress Your Clothes 


Videos 

A thought-provoking website called The Story of Stuff focuses on "honest conversation about our consumption-crazed culture." On the website, there are instructional videos and other resources. 

No comments: