Top Stories

Musician Sheryl Youngblood discusses her experience playing at the Mahindra Blues Festival in India

Musician Sheryl Youngblood discusses her experience playing at the Mahindra Blues Festival in India


Musician Sheryl Youngblood discusses her experience playing at the Mahindra Blues Festival in India



This year's event is transforming the gendered scene by including all women.


Prepare to be startled if you believe that blues music is just about emotional guys singing about their struggles in life. The blues is due recognition for its trailblazing female artists who deserved to be at the core of the genre. The voices and narratives of three women—Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Big Mama Thornton—have influenced the development of the genre. The Mahindra Blues Festival's all-female lineup in 2024 is a standing ovation for these groundbreaking ladies as well as the innumerable women from all around the globe who have contributed to the history of the genre.


The top female blues musicians in the world are included in the 12th edition. Vanessa Collier combines blues, funk, and soul in a sophisticated way with her exciting saxophone performance. Nominated for a Grammy You will be left enthralled, emotionally charged, and in dire need of a good weep in the greatest possible manner by Beth Hart's performance. Nearer to home, Soulmate's Tipriti Kharbangar offers a distinct cultural viewpoint, complemented by the strong voice of Kanchan Daniel.


Big Bang Blues, the champions of the Mahindra Blues Band Hunt in Delhi, will be the focus, carrying on the legacy of supporting Indian blues musicians. As part of the 'Blues in Schools' campaign, the Kanakia Beatz Crew and Nanhi Kali Choir group will perform on the Garden Stage. Sherrill Youngblood, a Grammy Award-winning vocalist, drummer, and pianist for the gospel ensemble and inductee of the Chicago Blues Hall of Fame, visited with the Free Press Journal. Audiences can expect to be warmly welcomed by his vibrant presence and lifetime gospel, R&B, and blues singing. Visit Soul Straight Salon to see her now.


Takeaways from the conversation:


What is in the MBF set list?


Our set selection is tailored to the Indian audience. A blues celebration is taking place! We have something in store for everyone—young and old, dancers and tappers, singers, and dancers.


This is your first visit to India, right?


Yes, I'm thrilled. I wish to investigate the traditions, architecture, vibrant clothes, and culture.


What drew you into the gospel, R&B, and blues genres?


All my life, I've been surrounded by music. The gospel originated in our church, where my mother played the piano. I was permitted to enter the sanctuary and play instruments there while my parents took care of church-related matters. My sister played the flute, my younger brother played the drums, and my older brother played the shehnai. We listened to a wide variety of music growing up, and eventually we developed a deep passion for gospel, R&B, and blues music. All music, we discovered, was relative. The route less traveled is learning the origins of the blues, its depth, meaning, and its message.


Which artists or experiences have had an impact on your growth?


I am grateful to so many artists who have fed my need. Artie "Blues Boy" White, Bobby "Slim" James, Koko Taylor, Otis Clay, Floyd Taylor, and Dennis LaSalle were among the musicians with whom he collaborated. Other artists included Prince, Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight, Buddy Guy, Taildragger, and Bobby Rush. The son of Johnny Taylor) motivated me. Buddy Guy and I had a chat at some point about money. I said that he only got paid 25 cents to perform, but he didn't seem to mind since the real focus was on you. It was all about playing what you felt and being aware of your emotions.Because you don't always receive the same emotion, even if a song may be performed every day depending on the composer, it will never be played the same way. Each of these tales has shaped who I am now.


You've referred to onstage performance as "the ultimate pinnacle." Why is there such a rush to see a live performance?


It's not about me on stage; it's about everyone surrounding me. No matter how long or short our performance is, it will have been time well spent if I can use my music to make even one person smile or feel a little happier. What I do is worthwhile and much more meaningful if I can assist someone forget about their worries, even for a little period. For instance, the other night after my performance, a lady approached me and said, "You don't know what you do with your music. I forgot that I had cancer because of you. I brought you in and you relieved my tension; I feel so much better now. I thought I had completed the task for which I had gone there.


No comments: