Top Stories

Watch: 4 US diplomats drive auto rickshaws on Delhi roads



• Abandoning their bullet-proof vehicles, four women diplomats from the United States drive auto-rickshaws on the streets of Delhi 


Four US female diplomats abandoned their bullet proof vehicles and drove auto rickshaws on the streets of Delhi. Ann L Mason, Ruth Holmberg, Sharyn J Kitterman and Jennifer Bywaters are in the national capital these days, and they say they prefer to drive their black and pink three-wheelers for all their work, including 'official trips'. 


These diplomats have resorted to the movement of common man not only for entertainment but also to set an example. 


In a video by Reuters news agency, the diplomats can be seen riding an autorickshaw on the streets of the national capital. An autorickshaw was decorated with the flags of two countries - India and the US. 


Diplomat NL Mason said he saw an autorickshaw for the first time in Pakistan and was impressed by the unique design of the vehicle. As soon as she came to India, she bought one for herself. 


Four US diplomats in New Delhi swapped cars for tuk tuks because they feel that driving empowers them and gives them a chance to connect with people. 


— Reuters (@Reuters) November 23, 2022 


"When I was in Pakistan, before coming to India, I was into armored vehicles and they were big, beautiful vehicles. Autorickshaws. So when I came to India and had the opportunity to buy one, I took it immediately", Mason told Reuters. told the news agency. 


His personal black autorickshaw has a Bluetooth device and a curtain with the image of a tiger. He has taken special care to personalize his autorickshaw, nicknamed KITT, in homage to the 1980s show "Knight Rider". 


Seeing the hustle and bustle of the city, Ruth Holmberg takes her 'black beauty' to the market and meets people in what she describes as her method of 'diplomacy'. Holmberg said, "I really enjoy driving autos and I love it when other women see that I'm driving it and I love that they see the potential for them too. For me, diplomacy is just about getting higher." Not level. Diplomacy is people meeting people, people getting to know each other, and building relationships and that's what I can do with auto. I meet people every day. On my way to work , going to the market. I know the vendors in my area, and I know the people in the market.. They are all excited to see me in the market with the auto. They come and introduce themselves and with that, I can build relationships one on one and I think that's a very important part of diplomacy", Ruth Holmberg said from inside her Black Rec 


Karnataka-born and American-born Sharin J Kitterman also showed off her pink autorickshaw with flower magnets. Kitterman said she was inspired by the Mexican ambassador, who also had an auto with a driver. He has also tied colorful pendants on both sides of his auto and pasted the flags of USA and India near the windshield. 


"When I was planning to come to New Delhi in America, I had heard about the Mexican ambassador. Ten years ago, he had an auto and he had a driver. That's when I started thinking about it. I came here, I saw Ann who had an auto, so when I have an auto, I want to drive it. So, that was my whole goal", Kitterman said. 


The Mexican ambassador Melba Pria was the one who started the trend when she made a white rickshaw her official vehicle. 


Talking about her travel experience, Jennifer Bywaters said that she got to see the good side of the people on the road who helped her and that you need to be brave enough to have fun and think out of the box. 


“When I was in Delhi, I met Ain and after riding in her auto, I decided I needed this vehicle too. I got to see the local perspective, more of the humanity. He helped me drive an auto rickshaw and so I saw the good side of people in Delhi," Jennifer said. 


Addicted to the ride, she said the toughest part was navigating around other auto-rickshaws, but learning to drive was not difficult. 


"Learning was not difficult. I am used to clutch ride, so it was easy and the toughest part of driving in Delhi is navigating around animals, cycles and other auto-rickshaws. But I would say have fun and be brave." , " He added.

No comments: